Paying with Paper

April 25th, 2012

8 Responses to “Paying with Paper”

1. ya yan [kelly] on April 27, 2012 4:21 am

I cannot imagine how he can buy things with the blank paper. Probably, people just don’t pay attention to the details, or we just too believe in people who look rich and normal.

2. Weiqing on April 27, 2012 10:56 pm

He attempts to buy things using his own money – blank paper. I love his evil smile, ”take it, its fine, just take it.”

3. surbanska on April 30, 2012 1:39 am

What is even more interesting then the video are the comments below. People can get so easily so emotional. A lot of comment contain vulgar vocabulary, a lot have been removed and flagged as spam. I don’t know if this particular video shows real experiment or as one person suggested the real experiment is how many people will believe it? The main argument against its reality is that it’s being done in NY. Well, we all know a bit about NY and its fast paced and scams filled life. But maybe just because this “perceptual overload” makes it easy to fool the mind. Because one I know from experience: YES, YOU CAN FOOL YOUR MIND. And those are the most surprising and educational moments, if you have a chance to evaluate it and/or get a feedback. Oh, and NLP is not scam- also speaking from personal experience.

4. maminova on April 30, 2012 3:36 pm

Cool video! At first I thought it was all staged because paying for something with a blank piece of paper would never work but then realized that it was real. I just don’t get how people can be so unaware of the money he’s giving them, except for the smart man that was selling hot dogs. It actually got me to realize that there was one thing in common with the people that took the blank pieces of paper; it looked as if money did not mean that big of a deal to them since they didn’t pay attention to what he was paying them with. But when it came to the man that was selling hot dogs on the corner, he knew right away that he was being tricked and asked to be paid up front with real money. I think that this shows how important money can be to some. The man was distracting the salespeople when paying them to see if they would realize that he is paying them with something that is worth nothing. The salesmen by the jewelry store should be much more cautious and aware before selling something that expensive. Wow. If money had meant that much to these people, as it did to the hot dog seller, then they would certainly be more careful with handling their money.

5. tintin on May 1, 2012 2:40 pm

I think that this video is staged, because there is no way that people would just take the money without counting it. There was never once in my life where the cashier didn’t count the money that I gave them. Even if this video wasn’t staged, they probably did this experiment a lot of times, and only showed the one time that it failed, making the viewer think that it had worked more times than it failed.

6. mkhatri on May 7, 2012 6:47 pm

It’s shocking that these salesman are so absent minded, not paying attention to what the man is paying them; they don’t bother to see if there is enough money. I find the jeweler the most irresponsible. He sold a $4500 diamond ring for NOTHING; he did realize what happened later on but at that time, he was so eager to get the purchase that he didn’t stop to look twice at what he had in hand.

One thing that I found surprising was that there were no female sales people. I wonder if a woman would have behaved in a similar manner or more maturely, making sure that she had the correct amount.

7. evelyn on May 9, 2012 4:41 pm

I don’t believe it would happen,not at all,especially in a jewelry store,paying to buy a diamond ring which worth $4,500.Nobody would not count it to make sure the exactly money.This is a ridiculous video.

8. Michele on May 13, 2012 12:34 pm

I think this is an interesting concept, to see these people interact and be fooled on something that most of us consider very important. The salesmen were getting easily distracted by this guy, but in my opinion, not only business in NY is usually done in a quick manner, people don’t really care about chit-chat, but in this video they were mesmerized by the British accent. I think that has a lot to do with it as well. In my opinion, the man selling the hot dogs was the only one smart enough not to get fooled by this guy because of his “street smarts”.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS